9 weeks into the 20/20 Lifestyle program, I am 21 pounds lighter. it’s not been easy. But it sure is satisfying. And, yet. Here I am still large: five foot six and 180 pounds. That is no slim Jim and while I appreciate the accolades of my 20/20 team about my progress, I still have forty pounds to go. How’d I get here?
1. My dad was a professional wrestler. When he wasn’t doing that he was delivering appliances, digging graves or driving a truck. By the end of his life his body was worn out. Only in his mid fifties when he died, he wanted none of his children to live a life as difficult as his. He admonished us to go to school, get an education, do anything but physical labor. He made a good point. I think it’s why I was an early adopter of a slothful lifestyle. (My dad would laugh here cuz he thought I had a stellar sense of humor! So it’s okay to chuckle)
2. My body hurts OFTEN. And, when it does, I like (d) to settle it down with a little diet coke, maybe a rum drink or two and something yummy to eat. This, I guess, would put me in some sort of sugar induced stupor in which I no longer noticed the body pain.
3. Sleep was my friend.
4. Sometimes life gets so overwhelmingly busy I freeze. My brain can’t prioritize. My body doesn’t know which chore to do first and my spiritual life is stalled. Laundry or dishes? Toilets or carpets? Everything needs cleaning, where to start? Usually at this point Lance will help me out. He likes to do that instead of seeing me go a little bonkers.
HOW IS LIFE DIFFERENT NOW?
1. Well, I don’t have 21 extra pounds to haul around so I have more energy.
2. I have all my appointments in the beginning of the day so I MUST get out of bed. I work out Mondays, Weds, and Fridays. 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training. I get 10.000 steps in on Tues, Thursdays, Sat, and Sunday. Even when I don’t feel like it.
3. I talk to Jesus all the time. I read His word, I listen for his voice, I ask His help in everything and I have a playlist of uplifting, encouraging songs I listen to every morning. I am motivated.
4. I’ve looked for ways to move. When you’re a writer it’s difficult to find time or reason to move out of the seat and away from the computer. But, my butt was getting to wide, so now I do.
5. No more diet coke. from day one of the program I stopped the consumption of Diet Coke. Big difference in sleeping patterns, energy level and even thought clarity.
6. On the 20/20 Lifestyle program you are taken off everything except protein and then slowly food and such is added back in. Doing this I discovered I am sensitive to caffeine and sodium and alcohol.
7. I look for creative ways to do more. I have a schedule for cleaning, laundry and clutter clearing. I have a schedule for writing. I am not perfect at sticking to either schedule but it sure does make decisions easier! What to do? Oh, how about number one on the list!
8. I signed on to do a work share at a local CSA. Yesterday was my first day. Today, after four hours of working in the field yesterday, my body is pretty darn achy and stiff. But, boy, it sure feels good!
Why else change a life style? Well, if I’d a kept going the way I was, I imagine I wouldn’t be around to do one of the most important things on my Life List. Dance at all my grand-babies weddings!
What change can you make today to fulfill a goal you have later?